Saturday, December 1, 2012

This is How I Cook ~ Butternut Squash Soup

I have never had Butternut Squash before.
People use it all the time...I've just never tried it.
They had them on sale at the market this week so I bought one and decided I was gonna make me some soup.
 
I adapted my recipe from this one!

INGREDIENTS:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, coarsely chopped
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
3 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 to 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 cup cream or milk

In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
Add onion.

Season with salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
Add squash, broth, and enough water (4 to 5 cups) to cover.
Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium, and simmer until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
Using a blender or an immersion blender, puree broth and vegetables until smooth.
I used my Pampered Chef hand blender.
Transfer to a clean pot as you do groups of squash.
Adjust soups consistency with a little water if necessary.
Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
Garnish with a small drop of sour cream!
Enjoy your soup - it's so sweet and tangy!
Cheers,
Messy

PS: Don't forget to enter for my 100 Followers Giveaway! :)))



2 comments:

Brooke @ Silver Lining said...

One time I made a squash soup like this and it turned out HORRIBLY! I think I just didn't have the right tools and utentils to make it. Next time around I'll be smarter (use what you use!) and I have much higher hopes :)

Rossie said...

roast the squash and onion in the oven first with a little olive oil. And add some mango chutney to the soup. YUMMMY You brown people never did eat any good vegetables, bet you were upchucking at Momma's dinner table when she served squash!